Our History

Building on Sturdy Foundations

The company was founded in 1880 by Charles William Dumpleton and was based in Victoria Street, St Albans.

In 1900 the business was passed to his two sons Charles and Sidney and became established as C & S Dumpleton Builders and Contractors.

In 1935 they formally incorporated the company as C & S Dumpleton Ltd. The company ran from 29-35 Culver Rd, St Albans for 109 Years. Charles and Sidney took the firm through the difficult years of the second world war. Many of the tradesmen were called up for duty and the Dumpleton Yard and offices were designated as a first aid station and air raid observation post.

In 1966 Sidneys son John was made Managing Director. John took the business from having a mainly domestic clientele to having a mixed domestic and commercial clientele where we had contracts with BT, Royal Mail and Hertfordshire Count Council.

Graham Dumpleton, Johns son joined the firm in 1970 and very quickly became a major part of the management team. In 1991 following Johns retirement, Graham became Managing Director. In 1975 John & Graham project managed the restoration of the historic Kingsbury Water Mill in St Michaels, St Albans which was built in the early 1700's. The project received the Heritage Year Award from the Civic Trust.

In 1994 Grahams son Gary joined the business and in 2006 Gary became Construction Director running the construction side of the business with colleague Lee Price who has been part of the team since 1986.


In 2013 Graham retired, the company was rebranded and modernised with Gary and Lee driving the business forward as equal propriorters with the help and support of both of their families.

Charles W Dumpleton

Letter head from the early 1900`s

©2020 by Charley Dumpleton for Dumpleton Builders & Contractors Ltd.